World’s Greatest Sit to Stand Workstation

Pete Segar, SVP Product Innovation & Chief Technical Officer, Ergotron

OK- I may be overstating it just a little- but I really do think that my computer workstation is one of the best in the world.   My computer workstation combines sit/stand ergonomics with dual monitor productivity all for <$1000.  It is an amazingly simple and convenient workstation that is perfect for the laptop road warrior.

My workstation uses an Ergotron Neo-Flex Mobile Workspace cart fitted with a Combo Dual Monitor bow.  This allows me to position my 20″ Dell monitor next to my open laptop screen for a very nice dual monitor workstation.   When I come in the morning, I dock my notebook to the Dell docking station that is permanently mounted to the laptop tray of the cart, and open up the screen.  Then it is perfectly positioned for dual monitor productivity.   I find this provides a huge improvement in my effectiveness and prevents errors.  In my job, I am afrequent spreadsheet user, and the ability to have an email open in 1 screen, a spreadsheet in the other, and the ability to enter data into a spreadsheet without opening and closing windows is much faster and I am much less likely to make an error.

Sitting at my dual monitor workstation

Standing at my dual monitor workstation

Inserting my notebook into the docking station.  You can see the laptop mounting platform.

The cart has a 20″ vertical lift so I can easily sit or stand at any time.  I find that it really helps prevent back and neck problems to frequently reposition myself.   Plus, research has shown that you burn calories much faster standing vs sitting. There are many sit/stand worsktations that are commercially available, but they tend to be very expensive ($1,500-4,000) and difficult to use.  Motorized lifts need power, and take roughly 20 seconds to raise from sitting to standing-that can be very irritating.  Cranks are slow and very inconvenient.  The “Constant Force” lift technology is a smooth counterbalance that makes the lift very easy, simply pull up, it moves in place immediately, then it stays where you leave it.  Very intuitive and convenient.   Because it is easy to move- you WILL move it!

Finally, because this cart has nice smooth casters, it is really easy to reposition in the room.  I frequently pull my workstation out away from my desk, and over to the table in my room so I can share my displays during meetings.  We show presentation, meeting notes, etc, and then push it back to the desk when it is not needed.  This is really great.

My workstation rolled over to my table for a meeting

The standard Neo-Flex Mobile Workspace cart works with either a notebook computer or else a flat panel monitor with a CPU.  I have a prototype configuration that uses the combination monitor/notebook mount from our new Neo-Flex Combo Stand to mount the monitor and notebook side by side.  I am very interested in seeing how much support there is for this type of product- so please provide feedback to my blog if you would like to see this product become available.

I am issuing a “Dare to Dual” to you: combine a flat panel display with your docked notebook screen to achieve a cost-effective, efficient ergonomic workstation that will change your life!

14 thoughts on “World’s Greatest Sit to Stand Workstation

1. Pingback: Ergotron » Blog Archive » The “Road Warrior” Home Solution: Integrating Work Laptop and Home CPU Computers

2. Pete Segar

Hi Kate- glad that you liked it! This unit is a prototype that I developed from components that we use on two different products- our Neo-Flex Mobile Workspace cart, and our Neo-Flex Combo Stand. I love this system, and based on feedback from people like yourselves, we may choose to offer it for sale. I assume from your feedback that you would be interested. It is likely that we will offer this product very soon. Thanks for your feedback.

3. Willis Morse

I am trying to build a system just like this using Mobile Workstation parts, but the Neoflex looks like a much better solution.

I am ready to purchase one of these now. How would I go about doing that?

1. Michelle Judd

Hi Willis! Pete’s original workstation here was a prototype of our latest product release, WorkFit. Here is the link to the product information: http://www.ergotron.com/tabid/65/language/en-US/default.aspx?FID=94 and here is an Explore Feature that you might be interested in viewing. http://www.ergotron.com/tabid/565/language/en-US/default.aspx

WorkFit provides ergonomic adjustment for the keyboard tray and monitors as you move from sit to standing postion. Plus, the work surface was added to accomodate work needs. Pete will probably respond to you as well, just wanted to give you some information to get started.

The product is currently in manufacturing but will be available for purchase in early September.

4. Pete Segar

Hi Willis- glad you liked it. As a result of great feedback on this idea, and my own use, we have decided to make this a standard product PLUS we have added a work surface which makes it a lot more usable. That product is called WorkFit. We just added it to our web site and it will be available through our distribution channel within a month.–Pete

5. Willis Morse

Great, thanks for the response guys. I don’t know how I missed that in the product listing.

You’ll save me weeks of fabrication, which would have ended up costing me many times the price of this thing in lost time 🙂

One last tech question… can you foresee any problems using a 17″ Macbook on the notebook side? From what I can see of the dimensions it should fit, but I’d love to hear confirmation that I’m not missing something.

So will it just start percolating out through the whole distribution channel around September, or do you do have a specific channel that you target for this sort of higher-end product?

1. Michelle Judd

Hi Willis, I sent you an email message but will answer here as well for any other readers. The tech specs say 20″ LCDs, so the thing to consider is the laptop size in relationship to second monitor. Our customer care team can help walk through this with you as needed. The product is available to pre-order now. See our Where to Buy or individual learn more pages for online resellers. Thanks and best regards!!

Michelle

6. ergonomiclaptopstand

The notebook computer is quickly replacing the desktop as most computer owner’s favorite machine. Not only is it portable for travel, it is also portable for use in the home. When used on a desk, it is not the massive monitor that even streamlined current desktops and monitors are. Wireless cards and growing wifi providers and hosts ensure that the internet is always accessible.

7. MichaelJWimpey

Came across this looking for stuff on workstations, but wanted to say I’m AMAZED to see you in first photo in a chair with armrests! Trying to rest elbows on office chairs with arms while working is the biggest cause of hunching and pain across the shoulders. Ditch the armrests, ditch the shoulder pain!

Mike

8. Taylor

I was looking for ergo work stations and came across this post.

I’ve never seen anything like this set up and now I’m totally intrigued.

I find myself standing up to work in my home office many days, either to talk on the phone or listen to a webinar to break out of sitting down so much in one spot.

This added ability to stand and use the keyword and display is very cool and something I’m going to have to look further into

9. Glenebay

Nice stuff. I think that is very expensive stuff. . When you stop and think about it, sitting down in a chair for extended periods of time seems a little silly.